Monday, April 26, 2010

what ARE you thinking?



I don't even know where to start on this one.
When I was in grade school, we spent a significant amount of time hiding under our desks, waiting for the A-bomb. We were taught to be afraid of the russians, and communism, taught to be afraid of anyone that wasn't like us (whatever that means).

Things went on, and things changed. We always have something to worry about though. Someone is always stirring the pot, taking sides, making people take sides - divide and conquer, you know the story.

I may have grown up in the smallest town ever, in a state that is considered to be full of hillbillies - but I also got introduced to a different world. Moving back and forth from my home to the Washington DC area changed my small town view. I read the Washington Post every day, and considered myself able to understand politics and the people who play that game. I was horrified by Watergate, and afterwards - I was old enough to vote. I don't have to tell you - if you know me - that I'm a tree-hugging liberal - not radical, but definitely will never change over to the other side. no way, never.

So anyway, I have this Flickr account. I have 1800+ contacts. The above picture shows you the friends I have all over the world. Almost every country is represented. So, it's really hard for me to swallow this Arizona immigration thing.

A good percentage of my contacts are from Mexico, Central America and South America. Brasil, Chile, Argentina - are my favorite friends on Flickr. One thing I've learned from them is how charming, beautiful, sweet, kind, and more than generous they are.

I can't support this legislation in Arizona. I can't believe that the people who do support it can be thinking straight. I wonder why they are afraid? I'd like to ask them.

I don't want to live in an America that makes us show our papers. It's just one inch short of fascism. No thank you.






No comments:

Post a Comment