Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Basil: A Tomato Is My Best Friend


Basil (Ocimum basilicum) is a member of the mint family. It is grown as an annual here, but may be perennial in frost free areas.
There are many varieties of basil, but my favorite is this one. I've grown Thai basil and others, and they are all wonderful, and have different tastes.
Varieties include O. b. minimum (dwarf basil), purple-leaved basils (O. b. purpurescens) such as Dark Opal, Lemon basil (O. americanum, O. basilicum var. citriodorum).
This plant (above) is container grown, but is out in the garden. Basil is best planted straight in the garden, and grown next to tomato plants for some reason.
The anise scent in basil is very attractive. I love to pick a leaf and squish it. Instant heaven. I have tried to dry basil and it hasn't worked, but a good way to have that fresh flavor in winter is to pick fresh leaves in summer, and cover them with water in an ice tray. After they are frozen, pop them out and store in a zip bag in the freezer. Added at the last minute in tomato sauces - it will brighten the flavors.
My favorite way to use fresh basil is in an italian tomato salad (popular here in West Virginia).
Chop several large garden tomatoes, red onion, green bell pepper, hot peppers (banana or your favorite), large amount of fresh garlic (I use a garlic press), extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. At the last chop basil leaves (chiffonade) and add to salad. Marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour. Best eaten the same day, because the basil turns dark. Serve with a loaf of crusty italian or french bread, and dip bread into juice at the bottom of the bowl. *drool*
This recipe comes to you via Mrs. Bonasso, who was my co-worker, and was forced to bring this salad to every pot luck luncheon we ever had in the lab. *smile*
I have used leftovers the next day and added them to spaghetti sauce, or cooked with fresh squash, or maybe a nice fish fillet. I've also used the above recipe, put it in a sauce pan, and added sugar and vinegar and made an instant faux-salsa. Don't cook it too long. I'm not a fan of cilantro, and I find basil is a good substitute. You can add fresh corn on the cob (sliced off), or mango to the salsa for a different taste.
Add fresh leaves of basil to your sandwich for a different taste.
Just try it, you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment